Founded in the year 1896, Sacred Heart Convent, Galle is among the prestigious girl’s schools in the southern Sri Lanka. SHC has been acclaimed with the honor of pioneering a school for women even long before the advent of free education.
Dedicated and committed to sphere heading women intelligentsia, SHC has successfully traversed 116th long years in her path.
On the special invitation of Arch Bishop Rev.Vanreeth and Rev.mother Mary Bernadette a Belgium delegation arrived at the island in 1896. This delegation consisted of Rev. mother Mary Amal , Rev. sis Mary William, Rev. sis Mary Alexandra , rev, sis Marcia and Rev. sis Mary Alberta who were the pioneers of SHC.
Founded in hollowed precincts of Calvary as a mixed school SHC was later transformed to a girls school of which the founder principle was REV. sister Mary William.
In an era when the women was much not exposed to education SHC made strides in developing wisdom, discipline, fortitude, decorum and manual dexterity among the female community in the southern Sl. This effort today has become a great strength this proudly wielding its prowess.
SHC aid a solid foundation since its inception by letting children absorb good qualities knowledge, self esteem, high decorum, fortitude. This is. In fact, achieved by shedding differences – creed, religion-and empowering the women to productively contribute to the progressive development of the society.
The Rev, sisters of yesteryears gave a new lease of life to pillow lace industry, which was unique to southerners as a cottage industry there by bringing the Sri Lankan identity and dignity to focus. Thereafter a technical education unit for adult students was set up for the first time in SL and thus craftsmanship of SL women was introduced to the local market signifying a golden era in the history. The construction work of SHC hostel of the school was also started in 1897 which saw the beginning of pillow lace industry. Besides, welfare program was initialized to foster the needy children.
The heartians who presently displays their talents both locally and internationally in sporting arena, made their debut in 1912 by bringing glory to school with several achievements in sporting events the year 1939 as saw the alimentative of girl guide activities, which was aimed that training school girls for social concerns.
Though SHC had become a Sinhala medium school by 1945 the medium of instruction in secondary classes was English. The first university entrant from SHC was reported in 1946. In other outstanding achievements, all the students who sat the G.C.E (senior) examination- a highly recognized exam of the era- had passed with 100% results.
SHC has record 7 principles who empowered the southern girls to climb up in their social ladder by exposing themselves to numerous competitions- aesthetics, multi languages, environmental affairs, quiz competitions, technology, science, commerce, religion etc. These pillars of success of SHC remain as giants forever in our minds.
Rev.Sr.Disna Siyaguna (2000 – 2010)
Rev.Sr.Patsy Nesamalar (From 2013- 2020 )
Rev. Sr. Sandya Rani Fernando (From 03- June- 2020)